Saturday, September 25, 2010

The imagination is an ambiguous and untidy place


Last night I was driving home from Pawtucket to my parents' house in Warren, when Garrison Keillor's "Writer's Almanac" came on the radio. Mr. Keillor read a quote from the poet Eavan Boland, to celebrate her birthday. I was struck by the piercing way she describes the division between her life and her work. Something there rang true.

"I'm a feminist. I'm not a feminist poet. I've said somewhere else that I think feminism has real power and authority as an ethic, but none at all as an aesthetic. My poetry begins for me where certainty ends. I think the imagination is an ambiguous and untidy place, and its frontiers are not accessible to the logic of feminism for that reason."

http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/index.php?date=2010/09/24

(for Kat)

No comments: